Co-ordination and facilitation of research into promising new agrochemical and biological products including those with insecticidal, nematicidal and herbicidal activities, with the aim of contributing to strategic and sustainable management of the industry’s major pests.
Plant pathology, Molecular biology, Microbiology, Biological control and Chemical pathology
- The safe, practical and sustainable application of agrochemical and biological compounds to reduce yield losses caused by pests, diseases, nematodes and weeds.
- New agrochemical and biological compounds or agents for application and registration in sugarcane agriculture
- To contribute to the development of agrochemical management strategies to minimise yield losses due to pests, diseases, nematodes and weeds.
- Assessing efficacy of new chemical compounds (nematicide, herbicide and insecticide) against sugarcane pests.
- Conduct field trials and glasshouse trials towards agrochemical product registration.
- To compile information generated from agrochemical research into outputs and recommendations.
Lamprecht, S.C, Spies, C.J., Phasoana, T and Gokul, A. 2020. Seedling diseases lead to poor establishment [Online]. Available: https://sagrainmag.co.za/2020/08/05/seedling-diseases-lead-to-poor-establishment/
Beukes, A. Gokul, L.J. Rose, A. Viljoen, B. Flett and G. van Collar. 2020. Investigating the identification and host-specificity of Fusarium graminearum species complex members in South Africa. Proceedings of: The 1st African Symposium on Mycotoxicology. Livingstone, Zambia.
Gokul, A., Beukes, I., Viljoen, A. Rose, l. 2015. Abstract “Evaluating MALDI-TOF MS and PCR RFLP for the accurate identification of Fusarium graminearum species complex members in South Africa”. EFS13/13th European Fusarium Seminar. Martina Franca, Italy.
Gokul, A., Beukes, I., Viljoen, A. Rose, l. 2015. Abstract “Chemotype determination and mycotoxin production of Fusarium graminearum from wheat and maize in South Africa”. EFS13/13th European Fusarium Seminar. Martina Franca, Italy.
MSc. Plant Pathology (Stellenbosch University).
BSc. (Hons) Chemical Pathology (Stellenbosch University).
BSc. Molecular biology and Biotechnology (Stellenbosch University).