- To develop and implement agronomic knowledge and technology to enhance the sustainability of sugarcane production in South Africa by initiating, managing and conducting research projects.
- Mentoring students and junior scientists.
Interaction between crops and the environment; agrometeorology; crop water relations; development and application of mathematical models and computer tools to support research and management of crops and natural resources.
Environmental and genetic impacts on sugarcane biomass accumulation and partitioning, irrigation scheduling, crop modelling and computerised decision support.
- Operational forecasts of the S.A. sugarcane crop at industry and mill level.
- Operational real-time irrigation advice to small-scale growers.
- Internet based sugarcane crop model for use as research tool by scientists and as management (irrigation scheduling, crop estimates) support tool by extension staff and farmers.
- Olivier, F.O, and Singels, A. 2015. Increasing water use efficiency of irrigated sugarcane production in South Africa through better agronomic practices. Field Crop Research 176: 87-98.Eksteen, A.B., Singels, A. and Ngxaliwe, S. 2014. Water relations of two contrasting sugarcane genotypes. Field Crops Research 168:86-100.Singels A., Jarmain C., Bastidas-Obando E., Olivier F.C., Paraskevopoulos A.L. 2014. Validating water use and yield estimates derived from remote sensing and crop modelling for irrigated sugarcane in Mpumalanga, South Africa. Proceedings of the Australian Society of Sugarcane Technologists 2014 Conference 36.Singels, A., Jones, M. Marin, F., Ruane, A.C. and Thorburn, P. 2014. Predicting climate change impacts on sugarcane production at sites in Australia, Brazil and South Africa using the Canegro model. Sugar Tech 16(4): 347-355 (also published in Int. Sugar J. 115: 874-881).Paraskevopoulos A.L. & Singels, A. 2014. Integrating weather based crop modelling and soil water monitoring technologies to provide improved decision support for sugarcane irrigation management. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 105: 44-53Paraskevopoulos A.L. & Singels, A. 2014. Integrating weather based crop modelling and soil water monitoring technologies to provide improved decision support for sugarcane irrigation management. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 105: 44-53Paraskevopoulos A.L. & Singels, A. 2014. Integrating weather based crop modelling and soil water monitoring technologies to provide improved decision support for sugarcane irrigation management. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 105: 44-53.Singels, A., Van Den Berg, M., Smit, M.A., Jones, M.R. and Van Antwerpen. R. 2010. Modelling water uptake, growth and sucrose accumulation of sugarcane subjected to water stress. Field Crops Research 117: 59-69.Singels, A. & Smit, M.A., 2009. Sugarcane response to row spacing-induced competition for light. Field Crops Res. 113: 149-155.Bezuidenhout, C.N. & Singels, A., 2007. Operational forecasting of South African sugarcane production: Part 1 – System description. Agric. Systems 92: 23-38.Bezuidenhout, C.N. & Singels, A., 2007. Operational forecasting of South African sugarcane production: Part 2 – System evaluation. Agric. Systems 92: 39-51.Singels, A. 2007. A new approach to implementing computer-based decision support for sugarcane farmers and extension staff. The case of My Canesim. Proc. Int. Soc. Sugar Cane Technol. 26: 211-219.Singels, A. & Smith, M.T., 2006. Provision of irrigation scheduling advice to small -scale sugarcane farmers using a web based crop model and cellular technology: A South African case study. Irrig. and Drain. 55: 363-372.
Smit, M.A. & Singels, A., 2006. The response of sugarcane canopy development to water stress. Field Crops Research 98:91-97.
Singels, A., Donaldson, R.A. & Smit, M.A., 2005. Improving biomass production and partitioning in sugarcane: theory and practice. Field Crops Res. 92: 291-303.
Singels, A., Smit, M.A., Redshaw, K.A. & Donaldson, R.A., 2005. The effect of crop start date, crop class and cultivar on sugarcane canopy development and radiation interception. Field Crops Res. 92: 249-260
Everingham, Y.L., Muchow, R.C., Stone, R.C., Inman-Bamber N.G., Singels, A., Bezuidenhout C.N., 2002. Enhanced risk management and decision-making capability across the sugarcane industry value chain based on seasonal climate forecasts. Agric. Systems 74: 459-477.
Singels, A. & Bezuidenhout, C.N., 2002. A new method of simulating dry matter partitioning in the Canegro sugarcane model. Field Crops Research 78: 151 – 164.
Singels, A. & Bezuidenhout, C.N., 1999. The relationship between ENSO and rainfall and yield in the South African sugar industry. S. Afr. J. Plant and Soil: 16:96-101.
Singels, A, Kennedy, AJ & Bezuidenhout, CN., 1998. IRRICANE: a simple computerised irrigation scheduling method for sugarcane. Proc S Afr Sug Technol Ass 72: 117-122.
- B.Sc. Landbou (Stellenbosch).
- M.Sc. Agric. (Free State).
- Ph.D. (Free State).