- Identify knowledge gaps and research needs.
- Initiate, manage and conduct research and development projects and provide expert advice and technical support to unique water related problems in the context of sugarcane production.
- Assessment of irrigation systems design & management alternatives with respect to costs and crop yield response.
- Irrigation system monitoring and evaluation.
- Irrigation scheduling and soil water monitoring.
- Sugarcane agriculture and optimal utilisation of water resources.
- Water use strategies in the context of climate change and climate variability.
- Energy use for sugarcane production.
- Sustainable farming practices.
Armitage, R, Lecler, NL, Jumman, A and Dowe, K. 2008. Implementation of the Irriecon V2 decision support tool to assess net returns to irrigation systems. Proc S Afr Sug Technol Ass (2008)45.
Jumman, A and Lecler, NL. 2008. A continuous water potential measurement system for irrigation scheduling assessment. SANCID 2008 symposium. Langebaan. Western Cape. RSA.
Jumman, A and Lecler, NL. 2009. A tool for the analysis of irrigation design alternatives. SABI Congress. Vanderbijlpark. Gauteng. RSA.
Lecler, NL and Jumman A. Irrigated sugarcane crop production functions. Proc S Afr Sug Technol Ass (2009)604.
Jumman, A and Lecler, NL. 2009. Short comm.: A continuous water potential measurement system for irrigation scheduling assessment. Proc S Afr Sug Technol Ass (2008)608.
Jumman A and Lecler N.L. 2010. Deficit Irrigation: A potential strategy to counteract the escalating electricity tariffs and water shortages. Proc S Afr Sug Technol Ass (2010)160.
Jumman A and Lecler N.L. 2010. Poster. Electricity tariff increases: The impact on irrigators? Proc S Afr Sug Technol Ass (2010)152.
MSc Eng (Agriculture), PhD (UKZN)