- To initiate and conduct research into the use of herbicides as part of IWM (integrated weed management) and to establish optimum recommendations.
- To conduct field based studies on the timing, efficacy and impact of herbicides on problem weeds in the industry, while protecting the crop.
- To foster links with researchers and institutions with similar research interests.
- Design, establish and monitor field-based herbicide trials.
- Apply digital analyses to verify visual monitoring of herbicide efficacy trials.
- Develop IWM strategies for problem weeds in industry.
- Communicate research findings in co-operation with Extension Specialists to the customers.
- Alien plant control and rehabilitation.
- Demonstrate the cost-effectiveness of herbicides to halt weed encroachment into fields.
- Compare the environmental impact of herbicides used in industry.
- Show methods for avoiding/ slowing possible herbicide resistance in industry.
Campbell, P.L. Armstrong, D and Ogilvie, G. (2007). Developing systematic management for whole-farm infestations of Cynodon dactylon in sugarcane. Proc Int Soc Sug Cane Technol 26: 399 – 403.
Campbell, PL (2008). Efficacy of glyphosate applied to short- and long-stolon Cynodon dactylon and the search for alternative post-emergence herbicides. Poster presented at the 81st Annual SASTA Congress, 29 – 31 July 2008. ICC, Durban, South Africa.
Campbell PL (2008). Efficacy of glyphosate applied to short- and long-stolon Cynodon dactylon and the search for alternative post-emergence herbicides. SA J Plant & Soil. In Press.
P.L. Campbell, M.T. Smith, C. Sewpersad and M. van den Berg (2008). Image analysis to quantify herbicide efficacy for Cynodon dactylon control SA J Plant & Soil. In Press.
PL Campbell, GW Leslie and GW Maher (2009). Communication of best practices for the use of two pesticides in the SA sugar industry. Poster presentation submitted for the Combined Congress: 19 – 22 January 2009. Stellenbosch, Western Cape, South Africa.
PL Campbell (2006). Hormone herbicides: Avoiding the risk. Link, May 2006.
PL Campbell (2007). Off-season weed control. Link, Jan 2007.
PL Campbell (2007). Controlling creeping grass. Link, Sep 2007.
SASRI Herbicide Guide (annual updates).
MSc and PhD (Pietermaritzburg).