- To conduct research into soil fertility and plant nutritional requirements of sugarcane
- To transfer technology (trial and research outcomes) to growers and other role-players in the sugar industry.
- Sugarcane leaf nutrition (analysis and interpretation).
- Sugarcane micronutrients (soil and leaf).
- Soil phosphorus sorption and interactions with other soil nutrients.
Poswa, L. and Miles, N. 2017. Factors affecting the solubility of phosphorus in soils of the South African sugarcane industry. Proc S Afr Sug Technol Ass 90: 122-125.
Poswa, L. and Miles, N. 2016. Crop age effects on leaf nutrient concentrations: implications for interpretive criteria. Proc S Afr Sug Technol Ass 89: 266-26
Poswa, L. and Miles, N. 2014. Prediction of fertiliser phosphorus requirement factors for soils of the Southern African sugar industry. Proc S Afr Sug Technol Ass 87: 349-352
Routine measurements of soil phosphorus sorption (FAS).
- Agric in Soil Science (University of Fort Hare)
- Agric (Honours) in Soil Science (University of Fort Hare)
- MSc in Soil Science (University of KwaZulu-Natal)