Role & Overall Purpose
- To conduct molecular and microbiological tests for the diagnosis of recognised diseases and for the identification of unknown diseases of sugarcane exported from and imported into Quarantine.
- To conduct molecular tests for the diagnosis of recognised viruses and phytoplasmas and for the identification of unknown viruses and phytoplasmas from field and research samples.
- To use tissue culture techniques to eliminate sugarcane pathogens to produce disease free plants for the Quarantine facility.
- Diagnoinge and identifing plant pathogens and other micro-organisms using specialist molecular and microbiological procedures in the laboratory.
- Plant micropropagation and transformation using somatic embryogenic and meristem tissue culture.
- New molecular techniques to identify sugarcane pathogens.
- Identification of pathogens responsible for new diseases in S.A. sugarcane.
B.Sc. (Microbial Biotechnology)