To initiate and conduct research, technology development and knowledge exchange projects to ultimately enable the integrated pest management (IPM) of current and emerging pests of sugarcane by small- and large-scale growers.
Biological Control, Entomology, Nematology, Organic Control, Technology Transfer, Project Management
- The development and delivery of area wide IPM tools for pests, particularly Eldana
- Establishing proof-of-concept of the potential of the novel SASRI F1 sterile insect technology (SIT) to serve as an effective component of Eldana IPM
- Collaboration in research, technology development and knowledge exchange projects that require entomological expertise
- In conjunction with the SASRI Extension, Biosecurity and Knowledge Management functions, communicate on pest management issues with industry role-players and stakeholders at all levels.
- Contribute entomological expertise in support of SASRI operations and services, including:
- Production of arthropod materials for: (a) sugarcane screening trials for Eldana resistance; (b) approved research projects; and (c) the weed biocontrol agent production service; and
- Commercial studies commissioned and funded by external third parties on pest control compounds or agents deemed by SASRI to have potential value to sugarcane growers.
Malinga, L. 2005. Constraints of Cotton Pest Control in Small-scale Farming Systems. Cotton Workshop, ARC-IIC: Rustenburg, South Africa.
Malinga, L. 2005. Cotton Pests and their Lifecycle. Cotton Extension Workshop, ARC-IIC: Rustenburg, South Africa.
Malinga, L. and E. Eulitz. 2008. Organic insecticides and nematicides for small-scale cotton farmers. 23rd International Congress of Entomology, Durban, South Africa
Malinga, L. 2007. Efficacy of natural substances for pest control in organic cotton by small-scale farmers. Proceedings: 16th Congress of the Entomological Society of South Africa, Stellenbosch University: Stellenbosch, South Africa.
Malinga, L. 2010. Presentation Titles: South African Cotton Production and Research Report Integrated Pest Management in Cotton. Proceedings: 9th & 10th Meetings of the Southern and Eastern African Cotton Forum and the IPM Workshop, Lusaka, Zambia.
Malinga, L. 2011. Quantitative assessment of insect pests and predatory arthropods on intercropped organic cotton in South Africa. Proceedings: 17th Congress of the Entomological Society of South Africa, University of Free State: Bloemfontein, South Africa.
Malinga, L. 2014. The role of scientific research in making cotton a sustainable and profitable business in Africa. Proceedings: 2nd Meeting of the Southern and Eastern African Cotton Forum: Maputo, Mozambique.
Malinga, L. 2015. Efficacy of biopesticides for pest control in cotton. Proceedings: 19th Congress of the Entomological Society of South Africa, Rhodes University: Grahamstown, South Africa.
Malinga, L. 2016. Efficacy of Organic Nematicides on Meloidogyne javanica for Small-Scale Cotton Farmers in South Africa. Proceedings: WCRC–6 and 2016 Biennial Conference of the ICGI, Goiânia, Brazil.
Malinga, L. N. 2017. Evaluation of Plant Extracts for the Control of Helicoverpa Armigera, Diparopsis Castanea and Earias Insulana in Cotton for Small-scale Farmers. Cotton Research Journal, 8 (1): 12-19.
Kranthi, K. R., Malinga, L. and Mubvekeri, W. 2018. Perspectives on Cotton Research and Ideas for Africa- Proceedings & Recommendations of the XIV Meeting of the Southern & Eastern African Cotton Forum. The ICAC Recorder, 36 (3): 4-13.
Malinga, L., 2019. Southern and Eastern African Cotton Forum: Platform for the advancement of cotton production in Africa. South African Journal of Science, 115 (9-10), 6-8.
Malinga, L. N. and Laing, M. D., 2021. Efficacy of three biopesticides against cotton pests under field conditions in South Africa. Crop Protection, 105578.
BSc in Zoology and Entomology, University of Fort Hare
BSc (Hons) in Entomology, University of Fort Hare
MSc in Entomology, University of Fort Hare
PhD in Entomology, University of KwaZulu-Natal