To conduct team-based research contributing to the production of improved sugarcane varieties, primarily through:
- The analysis and mapping of the sugarcane genome using Microsatellite and AFLP based markers;
- Participating, both as team member and principal investigator, in projects involving physiological and molecular approaches to sugarcane improvement.
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.
- Transgene Analysis: Northern and Southern blotting, whole plant Radiolabelling.
- Separation techniques: HPLC and TLC.
- Enzyme Assays and Enzyme Kinetics.
- Source-sink relationships in sugarcane.
- Carbon partitioning in the sugarcane culm.
- Carbohydrate metabolism during sucrose accumulation in the sugarcane stalk.
- DNA fingerprinting for identification purposes.
- AFLP Molecular markers.
Linkage disequilibrium mapping of commercial sugarcane germplasm for application in breeding programs.
Albertse, EH., Edwards, TJ., Butterfield, MK. Poster: Microsatellite fingerprinting as a quality control tool in sugarcane breeding and genetic marker research. SAAB, 18 – 22 January 2004.
Butterfield, MK., Richards, JM., Albertse EH. Progress and Prospects for Molecular Breeding in the South African Sugarcane Variety Improvement Programme. SASTA, 27 – 30 July 2004.
MSc (Free Sate).