Role & Overall Purpose
- To provide overall strategic management of the risks associated with biosecurity and biosafety in the SA sugar industry.
- To facilitate, co-ordinate and assist in activities of Local Pest, Disease and Variety Control Committees in their efforts to provide effective bio-security to the industry.
Agricultural extension, pest, disease and variety control, environmental management, training and education, soils and soil conservation and sugarcane agronomy.
- Establishment of a formal and uniform biosecurity system in the SA sugar industry, led by Local Pest, Disease and Variety Control Committees in conjunction with SASA and SASRI.
- To facilitate and provide and effective support service to LPD & VCC’s.
- Development of effective and practical incursion plans to counter the threats to biosecurity.
- To provide leadership and guidance in the area of stewardship of all resources used by the industry, including natural resources, manufactured inputs as well as the technology produced by SASRI.
B Ag Mgt (Hons) – Natal, Pietermaritzburg.